Mentors! What can they offer YOUR business?
In a nutshell, business mentors can help you to develop your ideas for business growth by sharing their skills, expertise, experience and contacts.
If you are an SME then you may already be working with a mentor. If you are ‘in the market’ for a mentor then this feature gives practical advice on finding the right person for you and your business.
It’s often said that a good mentor should be like a ‘critical friend’ but what does that actually mean? Here are some important questions to consider…
Top Ten Questions to Find the Right Mentor
- Has the mentor even owned/managed his/her own business?
- Is the mentor well connected/networked?
- Is the mentor aware of the latest business grants/loans and finance initiatives?
- Will the mentor hold you accountable for the actions that he/she suggests?
- Does the mentor have a proven track record of success? (E.g. with client case studies)
- How accessible is your mentor? (E.g. face-to-face, Skype, telephone, email?)
- Will the mentor set realistic and ambitious goals for you?
- Does the mentor share your vision – for both your business and its industry?
- How ‘innovative’ is the mentor?
- Does the mentor have access to co-mentors with specialist and complementary skill sets?
Sarah Brockwell is a member of a group of Essex-based professional mentors known as The Consortium. Together The Consortium has delivered bespoke mentoring support to 1000+ businesses over 10 years via schemes run by Essex County Council, BEST Growth Hub and LoCASE. For more information contact Sarah here.